These Chocolate Freezer Bars are my favourite sweet treat at the moment! They’re so delicious, and made with totally plant based and gluten free ingredients. Not only are they super quick to make, they require no baking at all – my favourite kind of recipe!
I love having these freezer bars handy for when I’m on the go – they’re sweet, satisfying and the perfect snack to help get you through your day.
Have a go at my Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Fudge for more no-bake fun!
If you make this recipe, please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I absolutely love to see them.
Chocolate Freezer Bars
To make my Chocolate Freezer Bars, you’ll need these ingredients…
- Oat Flour (1 Cup): Oat flour is the base ingredient in this recipe. It provides structure and a slightly chewy texture to the bars. Oats also add a mild nutty flavor and a good amount of dietary fiber, which can help make the bars more filling and contribute to a sense of satiety.
- Ground Almonds (1/2 Cup): Ground almonds add richness and a delicate nutty flavor to the bars. They also contribute healthy fats and protein, both of which can enhance the texture and nutritional profile of the bars. Almonds are a source of vitamin E, magnesium, and antioxidants.
- Runny Peanut Butter (1/2 Cup): Peanut butter not only contributes to the flavor of the bars but also acts as a binder due to its natural oils. It provides creaminess and moisture, making the bars less dry and more enjoyable to eat. Peanut butter is also a source of healthy fats and protein.
- Maple Syrup (1/4 Cup): Maple syrup adds sweetness and a natural source of sweetness to the bars. It also helps bind the ingredients together while contributing a distinct flavor. Keep in mind that it’s important to note that while maple syrup is less processed than refined sugar, it still contains sugars and should be used in moderation.
- Coconut Oil (3 tbsp, melted): Coconut oil adds a smooth, melt-in-your-mouth quality to the bars. It helps solidify the bars when frozen and contributes to their creamy texture. Coconut oil is also a source of healthy saturated fats, which can provide energy.
- Cocoa/Cacao Powder (1/2 Cup): Cocoa or cacao powder is responsible for the rich chocolate flavor in the bars. It also contributes antioxidants and polyphenols that have potential health benefits. The cocoa/cacao powder is what gives the bars their chocolatey taste.
- Salt (1 Pinch): A pinch of salt enhances the overall flavor of the bars by balancing sweetness and enhancing other flavors. Salt can also play a role in highlighting the chocolate taste and adding depth to the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract (1 tsp): Vanilla extract adds depth to the flavor profile of the bars and helps to round out the chocolatey taste. It can enhance the overall sensory experience and make the bars more appealing.
- Cacao Nibs or Dark Chocolate Chips (optional): These add-ins provide additional texture and bursts of chocolate flavor. Cacao nibs are essentially crushed pieces of cacao beans and add a slightly bitter, crunchy element, while dark chocolate chips offer a sweeter, melty contrast.
Chocolate Freezer Bars (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 1 Cup Oat Flour (grind quick oats to a fine flour using a high speed blender – use gluten free if required)
- 1/2 Cup Ground Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Runny Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil melted
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa/Cacao Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Cacao Nibs or Dark Chocolate Chips optional
- If you haven't already, place your oats in a high speed blender (I use a NutriBullet) and pulse until a fine flour forms
- Do the same with your ground almonds
- Melt your coconut oil and place in a medium sized mixing bowl along with the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and sea salt – mix well
- Stir in the oat flour and ground almonds until well combined
- Line a 8×8" (or similar size) square tin with baking paper and press the mixture into the tin
- Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs (optional)
- Place in the fridge or freezer to set for half an hour. Take out and slice into squares