These Chocolate Rice Crispy Cakes are the perfect little Easter goodies! They only require a few simple ingredients and are super fun to make – perfect for making with kids! They’re so simple and easy to whip up as there is absolutely no baking is required at all. They’re totally vegan, gluten free, and so delicious.
I love the addition of the cute and colourful mini eggs which are inspired by the recipe by Aimee at Wallflower Kitchen! Marzipan has always been one of my favourite flavours and the chewy texture is divine with the crunchy rice crispy squares.
If you make these this Easter, please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I absolutely love seeing them!
Why Are My Rice Crispy Cakes Not Sticking Together?
If your chocolate rice crispy cakes are not sticking together as desired, there could be a few potential reasons for this issue:
- Ratio of Binding Ingredients: The binding agents in your recipe are the dark chocolate chips, smooth cashew butter, and coconut oil. If the ratio of these binding ingredients to the crispy rice cereal is not sufficient, the mixture might not hold together well. Ensure that you are using the recommended amounts of these binding ingredients to create a cohesive mixture.
- Melted Mixture Not Well Distributed: When melting the dark chocolate chips, smooth cashew butter, and coconut oil together, it’s important to ensure that the mixture is thoroughly combined and smooth. Incomplete mixing can result in uneven distribution of the binding agents, leading to portions of the rice crispy cakes that don’t stick together.
- Overheating or Overmixing: If the chocolate mixture is overheated or overmixed, it can become too thin and not adhere properly to the rice cereal. When melting the mixture, use low heat and stir gently until just melted and combined. Overmixing can cause the mixture to lose its binding properties.
- Crispy Rice Cereal Amount: The amount of crispy rice cereal should be proportionate to the binding ingredients. Too much cereal and too little binding mixture can result in dry and crumbly treats. Make sure you are using the recommended amount of crispy rice cereal.
- Cooling and Setting: After mixing the ingredients, allow the mixture to cool slightly before pressing it into the pan. Pressing the mixture down firmly can help compact it and encourage the ingredients to stick together. Additionally, give the treats enough time to fully set and firm up before cutting into them.
- Humidity: High humidity can affect the texture of the treats, making them less likely to stick together. Ensure that the treats are stored in a cool, dry place to avoid excessive moisture.
- Alternative Ingredients: If you’ve made substitutions for any of the binding ingredients, such as using a different nut butter or oil, it might impact the binding properties of the mixture.
You’ll Need These Ingredients to Make My Chocolate Rice Crispy Cakes…
Ingredients for Chocolate Rice Crispy Cakes:
- Crispy Rice Cereal (2.5 Cups): This is the main base ingredient that gives the treats their crunchy texture. The crispy rice cereal adds a satisfying crunch to the treats and forms the structural foundation.
- Dark Chocolate Chips (1 Cup): The dark chocolate chips provide a rich chocolate flavor and a smooth, melty texture when melted and mixed into the treats. The chocolate also acts as a binding agent, helping to hold the treats together.
- Smooth Cashew Butter (1/4 Cup): Cashew butter adds creaminess and nutty flavor to the treats. It also serves as a natural source of fat that contributes to the overall mouthfeel and richness of the treats. Additionally, it helps bind the ingredients together.
- Coconut Oil (2 tbsp): Coconut oil is used to melt and combine the chocolate and cashew butter. It aids in creating a smooth and cohesive mixture that can easily bind to the crispy rice cereal. Coconut oil also adds a subtle coconut aroma.
Ingredients for Marzipan Mini Eggs:
- Ground Almonds (50 grams): Ground almonds form the base of the marzipan mixture. They provide a nutty flavor, texture, and structure to the mini eggs.
- Maple Syrup (3 tbsp): Maple syrup sweetens the marzipan mixture and adds moisture, helping to bind the ingredients together. It also contributes a pleasant sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Vanilla Extract (2 tsp): Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor profile of the marzipan, providing a warm and aromatic note to the mini eggs.
- Matcha, Turmeric, and Cocoa Powder (for coloring): These natural colorants are used to create different shades for the marzipan mini eggs. Matcha provides a green color, turmeric offers a yellow color, and cocoa powder gives a brown hue. These colors not only add visual appeal but also make the mini eggs resemble real eggs.
Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats with Marzipan Mini Eggs (Vegan & Gluten Free)
For The Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
- 2.5 Cups Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Smooth Cashew Butter
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
For The Marzipan Mini Eggs
- 50 grams Ground Almonds
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 tsp Matcha for colouring
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric for colouring
- 1/3 tsp Cocoa Powder for colouring
- Line a 9×9" (or similar sized) square tin with baking paper
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl along with the coconut oil and cashew butter
- Heat in the microwave for a minute or so until partially melted, then mix until fully melted
- Stir in the crispy rice cereal until well combined
- Spoon the mixture into your lined tin and press down evenly
- Place in the freezer for around 1 hour
- To make the marzipan mini eggs, place the ground almonds, vanilla and maple syrup in a small bowl and mix well
- Split the mixture into 3 separate small bowls and stir in your three different colourings of choice
- With your hands, roll into balls and then press into egg shapes
- Place each one onto a tray and put in the freezer to set
- When set, put the mini eggs on top of each rice crispy treat
How Long Does Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats Last?
Chocolate Rice Crispy Cakes can last for about 1 to 2 weeks when stored properly. To maximize their shelf life, follow these storage guidelines:
- Room Temperature: Store the treats in an airtight container at room temperature. Make sure the container is sealed well to prevent moisture and air from getting in.
- Cool, Dry Place: Keep the container in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Excessive heat can cause the chocolate to melt or become soft, affecting the texture and taste of the treats.
- Layering: If you need to stack the treats, place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper between the layers to prevent them from sticking together.
- Refrigeration: While it’s not necessary to refrigerate chocolate rice crispy cakes, doing so can extend their shelf life. However, refrigeration can potentially affect the texture, making them slightly harder. If you choose to refrigerate them, place them in an airtight container and allow them to come to room temperature before consuming for the best texture.
- Freezing: You can also freeze Chocolate Rice Crispy Cakes for longer-term storage. Wrap individual treats in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags. Frozen treats can last for a few months. When ready to eat, allow them to thaw at room temperature.
Keep in mind that the texture and taste of the treats might change over time, especially if they’re exposed to air, moisture, or temperature fluctuations. It’s best to consume them within the first couple of weeks for the best quality. Always use your judgment and inspect the treats for any signs of spoilage before consuming.