If you’re a tahini lover, you’re going to adore these Easy Vegan Tahini Cookies. They’re a super easy bake and take no time at all! Curl up with a cup of tea, a good book, and one of these delicious cookies. Oh, and they’re GREAT for dunking.
I absolutely adore tahini, whether it’s smothered onto a piece of dark chocolate, stuffed into the gooiest dates, drizzled on lunch bowls or spread on toast, I don’t think I’ll ever tire of it! With only 8 simple and accessible ingredients, 15 minutes baking time and a delicious smelling kitchen, these cookies are sure to be your new favourite bake.
These Vegan Tahini Cookies are golden and crunchy on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside – and to me, that’s the perfect kind of cookie. They’re especially delicious when still warm from the oven – you definitely won’t be able to stop at just one. I highly recommend dunking into a mug of cardamom tea with oat or soy milk – the BEST combination!
I’ve recently tested these cookies using oat flour for a gluten free option, and it works perfectly! Oat flour is super easy to make (just blend up rolled oats in a blender until a flour forms) and makes a great substitution for flour in this recipe. Just make sure to use gluten free oats to avoid contamination.
I highly recommend adding dark chocolate chunks to these cookies. The flavours work amazingly well together and it just makes them that bit more delicious.
If you make these Vegan Tahini Cookies then please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I love to see them! Happy baking friends!
(makes approx. 9-10 cookies)
- 1 cup all purpose flour OR 1 1/4 rolled oats (use gluten free if required)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3-4 tbsp soy milk/non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 5 tbsp sesame seeds
- 85% dark chocolate chunks or chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Skip to the next point if using oat flour. If using regular all purpose flour, sieve the flour and baking soda into a medium sized mixing bowl, then stir in the sugar and the pinch of salt.
- If using oat flour, blend the oats in a high speed blender until a flour has formed. Add to a medium sized mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add in the tahini, soy milk, vanilla extract and maple syrup and mix together until a doughy mixture forms. If using chocolate chunks, stir these in now so that they’re evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Pour the sesame seeds into a small plate or bowl. Take out a tablespoonful of the dough, roll into a ball with your hands, then roll the ball into the sesame seeds until covered. Place the ball on the baking sheet and press down to flatten to about 1/2-3/4cm thickness (you can do this with the bottom of a glass).
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes until starting to brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing. Enjoy! Store in an airtight container.