These Blueberry Banana Breakfast Muffins are a great grab-and-go breakfast, mid-morning snack or mid-afternoon pick-me-up. Naturally gluten free, plant based and super nutritious; they’re the perfect snack. They’re basically muffin versions of banana bread, but with the delicious addition of blueberries – I’m obsessed with the jammy texture!
I’ve used ground oats and walnuts as the flour, which makes these muffins packed with beneficial fibre and omega-3 healthy fats. I also adore the nutty flavour it gives them, exactly what I’m craving at breakfast time! They’re also pretty low in sugar, sweetened only with banana and a little maple syrup, but you have the option to add more or less maple syrup to your preference.
My favourite way of eating these muffins is to slice one in half and spread on a generous amount of peanut butter (or any nut butter). They’re also delicious warmed and served with coconut yoghurt and berries. Let me know your favourite way to eat them in the comments below!
If you make these Blueberry Banana Breakfast Muffins then please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I love to see them! Happy baking friends!
(makes 9 muffins)
- 2 cups rolled oats – use gluten free oats if required
- 1/2 cup walnuts (if you don’t have any in, i’ve been told that almonds also work well!)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 large, ripe bananas (or 2 and a half little bananas)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil (make sure to use light olive oil) OR melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or more, depending on your preference)
- 1 flax or chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water and left for 10 mins to set)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp soy milk/dairy free milk of choice
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- For the granola topping: 4 tbsp rolled oats, 1 tsp maple syrup, 1 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C and grease a muffin tin with a little oil.
- Add your oats and walnuts to a blender or food processor and pulse until ground down to a rough flour. Add to a large bowl and stir in the baking powder and salt.
- Add the banana, olive oil, maple syrup, milk, vanilla extract and flax/chia egg to your blender and blend until smooth. Add this to your dry bowl and stir in. If the mixture seems to thick then add a little more milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin so that they’re 3/4 full. Push a few blueberries into each of them (about 4 or 5).
- In a small bowl, mix the granola topping ingredients together. Sprinkle a little on top of each of the muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool for 20 minutes before using a palette knife to loosen the muffins and remove each of them. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
- Inspired by the incredible Green Kitchen Stories Turmeric Breakfast Muffins.