A veganised version of the classic flapjack – sweet, sticky, oaty bars drizzled in dark chocolate and dessicated coconut to bring them to the next level.
Flapjacks have always been a favourite of mine to bake. With only 5 basic ingredients, these Easy Vegan Flapjacks are a fuss-free, super simple sweet treat that can be ready in under an hour. You probably have the ingredients in your pantry right now!
You can add in chopped nuts and dried fruit to this recipe which adds the most delicious flavours and chewiness! I love using a combination of walnuts or pumpkin seeds with raisins or dried cranberries. You can also drizzle with dark chocolate (like I have) to make these flapjacks super decadent! Let me know in the comments what variations you used and what worked well!
The recipe calls for coconut oil as well as vegan butter – this is because I love the texture the coconut oil gives, as well as the slight hint of coconut flavour. If you aren’t a coconut fan (as I know a lot of people aren’t) you can easily swap this out for more vegan butter or for refined/’odourless’ coconut oil, which is basically coconut oil without any flavour at all (it’s fab)!
Enjoy these Easy Vegan Flapjacks as your mid morning pick-me-up with a cup of coffee, in lunch boxes, or serve with afternoon tea. They’re a sweet treat that everyone will love!
If you’re in the mood for more vegan baking, check out the recipes below:
If you make these Easy Vegan Flapjacks then please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition – I love to see them! Happy baking!
(makes 12 flapjacks)
- 220g (2 1/4 cups) rolled porridge oats
- 130g (2/3 cup) demerara sugar
- 85g (1/2 cup) margarine or vegan/dairy-free butter
- 85g (1/2 cup) coconut oil (or you can use more vegan butter in place of this)
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 60g (1/3 cup) dried fruit (optional) – raisins, sultanas, dried apricots, dried cranberries, chopped dried figs and dates
- 40g (1/4 cup) chopped nuts or seeds (optional) – walnuts, pecans, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds
- 100g (1/2 cup) vegan dark chocolate (optional)
- Dessicated coconut (optional), for sprinkling
- Start by preheating the oven to 160C and lining a 8×8″ square baking tin with greaseproof paper and grease with vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Melt the butter, coconut oil, sugar and golden syrup over a medium heat and stir or whisk until smooth and well-incorporated.
- Stir in the oats until well combined.
- If using, stir in chopped nuts and dried fruit.
- Empty the mixture into your baking tin and press down with the back of a spoon until evenly spread.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, leave to cool for 20 minutes before carefully removing from the tin.
- Optional step: Once the flapjacks have cooled, break up the dark chocolate into a heat proof bowl and microwave until melted, then drizzle over the flapjacks. Sprinkle over dessicated coconut and leave the chocolate to set for a few minutes before slicing into 12 delicious slabs! Enjoy!