Now the weather is getting cooler, warm breakfasts are most definitely in order. I love my sweet breakfasts – oatmeal, porridge etc but sometimes I get such a craving for a savoury breakfasts. This Easy Firm Tofu Scramble is the perfect breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner to warm you up this Autumn!
When I first heard about scrambled tofu, I was pretty skeptical. I thought it sounded quite bland and I couldn’t comprehend it tasting of much at all! But then I tried it out myself and absolutely loved it. It’s all about seasoning and spices, the tofu is perfectly moist and soaks up the flavours amazingly!
Serving Ideas: I love having this Easy Tofu Scramble as a brunch-type meal on toast with avocado, olive oil and a little wilted spinach. It’s also delicious as part of a hearty savoury breakfast, think baked beans, hash browns, buttered toast, mushrooms and tomatoes = incredible!
If you make this Easy Tofu Scramble, please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I absolutely love to see them!
- 1 block (around 280g) firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 fresh chilli, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Herbs of choice for garnish – I love coriander!
- Place the tofu in a large bowl and using a potato masher, press down on the tofu until crumbled down to a ‘scrambled’ consistency.
- Next, heat the olive oil up in a large frying pan/skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, spring onion and fresh chilli to the pan and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add in the crumbled tofu along with the spices, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and water and turn down the heat to medium and stir with a spatula. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve on toast with a little olive oil, coriander and black pepper! Or try one of the serving suggestions I’ve described above!