I’m ridiculously excited to share this recipe! It’s made with totally vegan ingredients and can be made gluten free simply by using a good gluten-free spaghetti or pasta. It makes for the perfect romantic meal in for two.. super creamy, rich, sweet + delicious. And SO easy! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I love to see your recreations!
- 1/2 cup cashews – soaked for 20 minutes in hot water
- 1 jar tomato pasta sauce (around 350g)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (this is optional, it’s as delicious without! Just less ‘cheesy’)
- Pinch sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Spaghetti/pasta for two people – use gluten free if needed
- Begin by putting on your spaghetti/pasta on to boil in salted water according to the packet instructions.
- Heat your olive oil in a large saucepan. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sweat on a low-medium heat until translucent.
- In the meantime, drain and rinse the cashews and place them in a high speed blender along with your jar of tomato sauce, tomato puree, dried oregano, basil leaves, nutritional yeast, vegetable stock, pinch salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth and velvety.
- Pour the sauce into the garlic and onion pan and stir it all together. Let it simmer over a low heat for around 5 minutes while stirring often.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, drain it and drizzle over a little olive oil. Pour the pasta into the saucepan and stir it into the creamy tomato sauce. Voila! Enjoy. Serve with a garnish of fresh basil.