These Chocolate Chip Flapjacks are such a heavenly bake. They’re so easy to make, whilst being totally plant based and vegan. They’re perfect for snacks and lunch boxes!
Flapjacks have always been one of my favourite things to bake. They’re super easy, whilst tasting and smelling absolutely unreal.
In my opinion (and I’m right!), these are the ultimate flapjacks because they contain both pecans and chocolate chips – a match made in heaven! I also prefer a moist, cakier texture when it comes to flapjack, which is why these include a little bit of flour in the recipe.
They’re kind of like a cross between a cake and flapjack (and incase you can’t tell, I’m obsessed).
How to Make My Chocolate Chip Flapjacks
Fancy making my chocolate chip flapjacks? Awesome! Here’s what you’ll need…
- Porridge Oats (3 Cups): Porridge oats are the base of flapjacks and provide a hearty, chewy texture. They’re a good source of dietary fiber, complex carbohydrates, and some essential nutrients like manganese and phosphorus. They help provide energy and contribute to the overall texture of the flapjacks.
- Plain Flour (1/2 Cup): Plain flour is used to bind the ingredients together and give structure to the flapjacks. It contains gluten, which helps create a more cohesive texture. In this recipe, it’s likely being used in a relatively small amount to avoid making the flapjacks too dense.
- Vegan Butter (200 grams): Vegan butter serves as a replacement for traditional dairy butter. It provides fat, flavor, and helps bind the ingredients together. Depending on the brand and ingredients used, vegan butter can consist of a variety of plant-based fats such as coconut oil, palm oil, or other vegetable oils.
- Golden Syrup (1/2 Cup): Golden syrup is a sweet syrup made from sugar and water. It’s commonly used in baking to add sweetness, moisture, and a distinct caramel-like flavor. In this recipe, it contributes to the flapjacks’ sweetness and helps hold them together.
- Brown Sugar (180 grams): Brown sugar is another source of sweetness in the recipe. It also adds moisture and a hint of caramel flavor. Compared to white sugar, brown sugar contains some molasses, which contributes to its color and taste.
- Pecans (1/2 Cup roughly chopped, preserve a few whole): Pecans are a type of nut that adds a delightful crunch and nutty flavor to the flapjacks. They also contribute healthy fats, protein, and a variety of vitamins and minerals. Chopping them roughly and preserving some whole adds texture variation to the flapjacks.
- Dark Chocolate Chips (80 grams, reserve a few for topping): Dark chocolate chips are a delicious addition that provides bursts of chocolate flavor. Dark chocolate often contains less sugar than milk chocolate and can provide antioxidants. The reserved chocolate chips for topping will add visual appeal to the flapjacks.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Pecan Flapjacks
- 3 Cups Porridge Oats
- 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- 200 grams Vegan Butter
- 1/2 Cup Golden Syrup
- 180 grams Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Pecans roughly chopped (preserve a few whole)
- 80 grams Dark Chocolate Chips reserve a few for topping
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Line a 20x20cm square tin with greased baking paper
- In a medium sized pan, melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar over a low heat
- Once liquid, turn off the heat and stir in the oats and flour until well combined
- Leave for a couple of minutes to cool down
- Stir in the chopped pecans and chocolate chips (they will melt a little but that doesn’t matter)
- Spoon the mixture into your lined tin and flatten with the back of a spoon/spatula
- Add a few whole pecans and chocolate chips on top, then place in the centre of your oven for 25-28 minutes
- Remove the tin from the oven and leave the flapjack to cool for 10 minutes before gently removing and slicing into squares. Store in an airtight container and enjoy