Banana bread is one of the BEST snacks ever. Toasted and buttered, warmed with coconut yoghurt, smothered in peanut butter, or simply on it’s own; it’s so comforting and delicious!
I think some people find the idea of vegan baking slightly daunting, and that’s what I want to change. Vegan baking is actually much simpler than non-vegan baking, in my opinion. This Easy Vegan Banana Bread recipe is so easy and super quick to make, you’ll be surprised!
I’ve included a gluten free option by making this banana bread with oat flour. I absolutely love making it this way, it’s super moist and has an added fibre-bonus.
Helpful Hack: FREEZE your bananas with the skin on when they’re going brown/black in the fruit bowl. Then, when you want to make a banana bread either take them out and leave on a plate to defrost or defrost them in the microwave. They will squeeze out of the skin perfectly and will hardly need any mashing!
If you make this recipe, please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I absolutely love to see them!
- 3 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup olive oil (can sub for any liquid oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2.5 tbsp water and left for 10 mins to set)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (depending on ripeness of bananas)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour OR 2 cups rolled oats (use gluten free oats if required) OR gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup sugar of choice (adjust to your preference)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Another banana for topping
- Chopped walnuts or pecans for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175C and grease and line a 9×5″ loaf tin.
- In a medium bowl, add the ripe bananas and mash with a fork. Add the olive oil, flax egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- If using oat flour, add the oats to a blender and blend until a fine flour forms.
- In a new bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and sea salt, then add this mixture to the dry bowl and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf tin and spread out with a spatula. Add a halved banana (length ways) or a few slices of banana, and some chopped nuts if using.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 minutes. It should be golden brown and a skewer/tooth pick should come out clean. Leave in the tin to cool for 20 mins and then carefully remove. Store in an airtight container.