I had so many requests for this recipe after posting them on my Instagram story! These pancakes are light, fluffy, slightly sweet and SO delicious drizzled in maple syrup. I wanted to veganize the classic pancake, and this recipe is super simple with no obscure ingredients (win!)
I highly recommend serving these the classic way; drizzled in maple syrup and a little vegan butter. However, they also taste amazing with fresh fruit, nut butter, jam, yoghurt, lemon, sugar, the list goes on!
I think these Fluffy Vegan Pancakes would be the perfect Christmas morning breakfast. Make them a little more festive by adding a pinch of ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves to the first step of the recipe.
You can make these into blueberry pancakes by simply sprinkling a few blueberries onto each pancake after flipping, then flip over and cook the other side. Or you could even to the same with dark chocolate chips!
I’ve included a gluten free option using oat flour, so these pancakes can be enjoyed by everyone! Oat flour is such a magic ingredient. You just have to add a little more to get the right consistency in the batter. The texture is slightly different but I actually kind of prefer it! They go a beautiful golden brown colour.
To make oat flour simply grind up oats – gluten free oats if required – in a blender (I just use my NutriBullet!) for about 60 seconds until a fine flour forms.
If you make these Fluffy Vegan Pancakes, then please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition or #ginabnutrition – I love to see them! Happy Pancake Day!
Makes 9-10 pancakes
- 1 cup plain, all purpose flour OR 1 1/2 cups oat flour (blend gluten free oats in a blender until a fine flour forms)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2-3 tbsp granulated, golden or white sugar
- 1 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk!)
- 1 tbsp light olive oil OR vegetable oil
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Light olive oil or coconut oil (I would use odourless or refined) for frying
- Sieve the flour (if using all purpose, plain flour) and baking powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and salt. If using oat flour, simply add to the bowl with the other ingredients and stir together well.
- In another smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, olive oil, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Pour this into the dry bowl and whisk until smooth. You will need to whisk for longer if using oat flour to make sure there are no lumps (or blend in a blender).
- Heat up a frying pan over a medium-high heat. When it’s very hot, add a dollop of the batter (around 2 tbsp or 1/2 a cup – I like to use a small ladel or ice cream scoop so that they’re all the same size) and pour into the middle of the pan. Let it cook for 1 minute or until lots of little bubbles are appearing on top. Flip and cook again on the other side, until both sides are golden brown!
- Serve drowned in maple syrup, or with toppings of choice! Enjoy!