If you’re looking for a dairy-free, vegan alternative to satisfy that cheesy craving, this recipe is for you! I often make cashew cheese as a dip or sauce to have with meals, but this recipe is sliceable and absolutely perfect for a cheeseboard. It can be made in under half an hour (aside from setting time) and is so so easy to make. Go go go!
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 medium sized ramekins – halve this recipe for one ramekin)
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soak overnight – 12 hours)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1-2 tsp garlic granules/powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano/dried herbs of choice
- 6-7 tbsp nutritional yeast
- The juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 10 tbsp filtered water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional – adds a deep cheesy colour)
- Handful finely sliced fresh chives
- 4 tsp agar-agar powder + 1 cup filtered water
- Start by draining your cashews and rinsing them well. Then place them in your blender/food processor along with the minced garlic, garlic powder, dried herbs, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, maple syrup, turmeric (if using), sea salt, cornflour and 10 tbsp water.
- Blend well until a very smooth paste forms. Feel free to taste this mixture and add in any more of the ingredients to taste (e.g. you may prefer a tangier flavour, so add in more lemon juice).
- Stir in the chopped fresh chives.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add in 1 cup filtered water, the agar-agar powder and the cheesy cashew mixture. Turn on the heat and gently bring to a boil – constantly whisking. You will feel it getting thicker and thicker; turn off the heat when it becomes a similar consistency to a thick cake batter.
- Pour this mixture into greased ramekins (I grease with a teeny bit of olive oil and some kitchen towel), cover, and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours until they’re set.
- After three hours, carefully remove from the ramekins by turning them upside down – if they don’t come out straight away, try going around the edge with a soft knife (this usually works). Slice away and enjoy! Try a chunk on a cracker with some spiced apple chutney. Mmm ??? Store in the fridge to keep fresh!