These bars are ridiculously good. They’re similar to my chocolate cornflake cakes – but with a twist! Popcorn is one of my favourite foods (although I do say that about rather a lot of foods) ~ so the combination of sweet popcorn with the creamy base and chocolatey topping is to DIE for. They’re vegan, gluten free and don’t require any cooking! Yay!
- 8 heaped tbsp smooth cashew butter (I find it easier + cheaper to make my own)
- 4 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste/extract
- 2/3 tbsp maple syrup/sweetener of choice – to taste
- Pinch sea salt
- POPCORN (I used Square Organics)
- 170g vegan dark chocolate + 1 tbsp coconut oil for melting
- Start by melting the coconut oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Then whisk in the cashew butter, vanilla, maple syrup and sea salt.
- When a smooth mixture has formed, pour this into a lined 9×9″ brownie tin. Sprinkle a generous amount of popcorn on top and gently press down with your hands. Place in the freezer to set.
- In the meantime, prepare a Bain Marie (glass bowl over a pan of hot water) and melt your chocolate and 1 tbsp coconut oil over a medium heat – stirring often.
- After the tray has been in the freezer for at least 20 minutes (so the base is firm) take out and pour on the chocolate. At this point you can even sprinkle some more popcorn on top of the chocolate! Place back in the freezer for half an hour to set.
- Voila! Enjoy! Try not to eat them all at once..? For best results store in the freezer and thaw in the fridge for a few minutes before serving.