Autumn is here, winter is coming. Which for me means LOTS of soups. Now, typically you could whip out the old tinned Heinz tomato soup, but unfortunately the original isn’t vegan; and the vegan version isn’t as good as mine (I joke… or do I?). Anyway, this is a beautiful and super easy creamy tomato soup (which just so happens to be vegan).
Is Heinz Tomato Soup Suitable for Vegans?
It may surprise you to find out that no, Heinz Tomato Soup (the original) isn’t suitable for vegans. However, they have recently brought out a vegan tomato soup (but mine is better…)
Making My Easy Creamy Tomato Soup?
- Vegan Butter or Olive Oil (2-3 tbsp): This serves as the cooking fat for sautéing the onions and garlic. It adds richness and helps to develop the flavors in the soup.
- Large Onion (diced): Onions provide a savory and slightly sweet base for the soup. They add depth and aroma, contributing to the overall flavor profile.
- Garlic (4 cloves, crushed): Garlic is known for its strong and aromatic flavor. It enhances the savory and umami notes in the soup while providing a pleasant, pungent aroma.
- Diced Tomatoes (2 tins, good quality): Tomatoes are the star of the show in tomato soup. They provide the primary flavor, acidity, and texture to the soup. Using high-quality tomatoes will result in a richer and more vibrant flavor.
- Tomato Puree (2 tbsp): Tomato puree intensifies the tomato flavor and provides a thicker consistency to the soup. It adds depth and richness to the overall taste.
- Dried Italian Herbs (2 tsp): Italian herbs, such as basil, oregano, and thyme, contribute a blend of aromatic and earthy flavors. They are a classic seasoning choice for tomato-based dishes, enhancing the Mediterranean flair.
- Sugar (2 tsp): Sugar is added to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. It helps round out the flavors and reduces the tartness of the tomatoes, creating a more harmonious taste.
- Bay Leaf (1): Bay leaves infuse the soup with a subtle, herbal aroma and flavor. They add a layer of complexity to the dish.
- Vegetable Stock (350 ml): Vegetable stock provides a savory and umami-rich liquid base for the soup. It amplifies the overall flavor and adds depth without relying on meat-based broths.
- Vegan Cream (250 ml): Vegan cream adds creaminess and richness to the soup without using dairy. It creates a smooth and velvety texture, making the soup more indulgent.
- Salt and Pepper: These are essential seasonings that enhance all the other flavors in the soup. Salt balances the sweetness of the tomatoes and complements the herbs, while pepper adds a mild kick and depth.
Easy Tomato Soup
- 2-3 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tins diced tomatoes good quality
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp dried italian herbs
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml vegan cream
- salt and pepper
- Add the butter or oil to a large pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes while stirring (don't let it burn).
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs, sugar, bay leaf and vegetable stock – stir and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper to your preference.
- Blend the soup until smooth – either using a hand held blender or your regular blender (if doing this, leave the soup to cook first)
- Pour back into your pan and stir in the vegan cream, serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!