Mug cakes are an incredibly popular dessert among bodybuilders due to their high protein content (if you add in protein powders). They are usually made in a microwave-safe mug and require minimal ingredients, making them a perfect treat for those with a sweet tooth who are short on time. However, not everyone has access to a microwave, and some may prefer to avoid the radiation that comes with microwaving. That’s where making vegan protein mug cakes without a microwave comes in.
By using alternative cooking methods, such as stovetop, oven, or toaster oven, you can still enjoy the convenience and deliciousness of a mug cake without a microwave. Additionally, making them without a microwave can make them more versatile and accessible to those who don’t own a microwave or want to try different cooking methods. In this article, we’ll show you how to make vegan protein mug cakes without a microwave, so you can enjoy a quick and easy snack or dessert, no matter your kitchen setup.
How to Make a Vegan Protein Mug Cake Without a Microwave
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, vegan protein powder, and baking powder.
- Add the sweetener, plant-based milk, and oil to the mixing bowl. Use a whisk or fork to mix until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- If you want to add any optional ingredients, such as chocolate chips, nuts, or fruit, now is the time to fold them into the batter.
- Grease a small pot or pan with cooking spray or oil. Pour the batter into the greased pot or pan, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Cover the pot or pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooked, carefully remove the pot or pan from the stove and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Alternative cooking methods:
- Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a ramekin or baking dish with cooking spray or oil. Pour the batter into the greased ramekin or baking dish, making sure it is evenly distributed. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Toaster oven: Follow the same instructions as for the oven, but adjust the baking time and temperature according to your toaster oven’s instructions.
- Steamer: Grease a heatproof bowl or ramekin with cooking spray or oil. Pour the batter into the greased bowl or ramekin, making sure it is evenly distributed. Place the bowl or ramekin in a steamer basket and steam for 15-20 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
By using these alternative cooking methods, you can make a vegan protein mug cake without a microwave, no matter what cooking equipment you have available. Enjoy your delicious and protein-packed dessert or snack!
My Top Tips for Making Vegan Mug Cakes:
- Adjust the cooking time depending on the heat source you are using. If you are using a stovetop or steamer, you may need to cook the cake for a little longer than if you were using an oven or toaster oven.
- Keep an eye on the cake while it’s cooking to make sure it doesn’t burn. If you are cooking it on the stove, use a low heat and cover the pot or pan to trap the heat inside and ensure even cooking.
- Add toppings after cooking, such as whipped coconut cream, fresh berries, chopped nuts, or a drizzle of melted chocolate.
- Use different flavours of vegan protein powder to change the flavour of your mug cake. For example, use vanilla protein powder for a classic vanilla flavour, or chocolate protein powder for a chocolatey treat.
- Add different mix-ins to your mug cake batter, such as chopped nuts, dried fruit, shredded coconut, or vegan chocolate chips. Be creative and experiment with different combinations!
- Make a gluten-free mug cake by using a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour.
- Use different sweeteners, such as maple syrup, agave, or coconut sugar, to adjust the sweetness level to your liking.
- Make a fruit-filled mug cake by adding fresh or frozen fruit to the batter before cooking. Try adding blueberries, chopped apples, or mashed banana for a delicious twist.
By following these tips and trying out these variations, you can create endless possibilities for delicious and healthy vegan protein mug cakes without a microwave. Enjoy!