Vegan flapjacks are a delicious and wholesome treat that can be enjoyed by anyone, whether you follow a vegan diet or not. But have you ever considered using coconut oil as an ingredient in your vegan flapjack recipe? Not only does it add a unique flavor and aroma, but it also has several health benefits that can make your flapjacks even more satisfying.
In this post, we’ll explore the advantages of using coconut oil in vegan flapjacks and share a mouth-watering recipe that’s easy to make at home. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan cook or a beginner looking to try something new, this recipe is going to be a game-changer for you!
So, let’s dive in and discover how coconut oil can help you maximise the taste and health benefits of your vegan flapjacks! (And don’t forget to stick around until the end for our delicious vegan flapjack recipe with coconut oil).
The Benefits of Using Coconut Oil in Vegan Flapjacks
Coconut oil is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, including vegan flapjacks. Here are some of the benefits of using coconut oil in your vegan flapjack recipe:
Coconut oil is a rich source of healthy fats, including medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can help to boost your metabolism and reduce inflammation. It also contains antioxidants, which can help to protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Coconut oil can be a healthy substitute for traditional baking ingredients such as butter or vegetable oil. Unlike these ingredients, coconut oil is a plant-based fat that does not contain any cholesterol or trans fats. This makes it a great option for those who are looking to reduce their intake of animal products or unhealthy fats. Or, you can use it with vegan butter, like this easy vegan flapjack recipe here!
Enhanced texture and taste:
The use of coconut oil can enhance the texture and taste of your vegan flapjacks. Because coconut oil is solid at room temperature, it can help to create a fluffier texture and a richer flavour. It can also add a subtle tropical flavour that pairs well with other ingredients like oats, nuts, and dried fruit.
By incorporating coconut oil into your vegan flapjack recipe, you can enjoy the nutritional benefits of this superfood while also enhancing the taste and texture of your favourite treat.
How to Make Vegan Flapjacks with Coconut Oil
Now that you know about the benefits of using coconut oil in your vegan flapjack recipe, it’s time to get cooking! Here’s a simple and delicious recipe for vegan flapjacks with coconut oil:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, melt the coconut oil and mix in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add in any optional ingredients, such as chopped nuts or dried fruit, and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and press down firmly with a spatula or your hands.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing into squares or bars.
- Use a non-stick pan or skillet to prevent the flapjacks from sticking.
- Add in extra spices or flavorings, such as ginger, cardamom, or coconut flakes, to customize the recipe to your liking.
- Store the flapjacks in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This vegan flapjack recipe with coconut oil is a great option for a healthy and satisfying snack or breakfast. With simple and accessible ingredients, you can easily whip up a batch of these delicious treats at home.
Tips for Perfect Texture and Flavour
To make your vegan flapjacks with coconut oil extra delicious and nutritious, try these tips:
- Use a non-stick pan or a silicone baking dish to prevent sticking.
- Add in extra spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger, for a warm and cosy flavour.
- Mix in some chopped nuts, such as almonds or pecans, for added crunch and protein.
- Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top of the flapjacks before baking for a tropical twist.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream or a drizzle of melted dark chocolate for an extra treat.
Accessibility of Ingredients
The best thing about this vegan flapjack recipe with coconut oil is that it uses simple and accessible ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. Rolled oats, coconut oil, and maple syrup are staple ingredients in many vegan kitchens, and unsweetened applesauce and almond milk can easily be substituted with other plant-based ingredients. So don’t hesitate to try this recipe and enjoy the taste and health benefits of vegan flapjacks with coconut oil!