White mould on potatoes is a common occurrence, and it can be worrying for many people who are unsure whether it is safe to eat or not. While some types of mould can be harmful, not all mould is dangerous. This article explores whether white mould on potatoes is safe to eat and provides some tips on how to tell if a potato has gone bad.
What is White Mould on Potatoes?
White mould on potatoes is a type of fungal growth that appears as a fluffy or powdery white substance on the surface of the potato. It is caused by a variety of fungi, including Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, which is a soil-borne fungus. This type of mould can also be referred to as Sclerotinia stem rot.
The fungus that causes white mould on potatoes thrives in cool, damp conditions and can spread quickly in storage. It can also infect other crops, such as tomatoes, peppers, and beans. White mould is often found on potatoes that have been stored for a long time or have been damaged in some way.
White mould on potatoes can be difficult to detect, as it often appears as a thin layer on the surface of the potato. It can also be mistaken for other types of mould, such as grey mould or black spot. However, white mould is usually more powdery and less slimy than other types of mould.
If left unchecked, white mould can cause the potato to rot and become inedible. It can also spread to other potatoes in storage and cause them to spoil. Therefore, it is important to take steps to prevent the growth of white mould on potatoes.
Some common signs of white mould on potatoes include:
- White or grey powdery growth on the surface of the potato
- Soft or mushy spots on the potato
- A musty or mildew-like smell coming from the potato
To prevent the growth of white mould on potatoes, it is important to store them in a cool, dry place with good air circulation. It is also important to inspect potatoes regularly for signs of mould or damage and to remove any affected potatoes immediately to prevent the spread of the fungus.
Is it Safe to Eat Potatoes with White Mould?
White mould on potatoes is a common occurrence, and it can be a cause for concern for many people. The question that arises is whether it is safe to eat potatoes with white mould. The answer is not straightforward, as it depends on several factors.
Firstly, it is essential to identify the type of mould on the potato. White mould is generally considered safe to eat as it is not toxic. However, if the mould has black or green spots, it is best to discard the potato as it can be harmful to health.
Secondly, the quantity of mould on the potato also matters. If the mould is only on the surface of the potato and has not penetrated deep into the flesh, it is usually safe to cut off the affected area and consume the rest of the potato. However, if the mould has spread throughout the potato, it is best to discard it.
Thirdly, the individual’s health condition also plays a role in determining whether it is safe to eat potatoes with white mould. People with weakened immune systems, such as the elderly, young children, and pregnant women, are more susceptible to food-borne illnesses and should avoid consuming mouldy potatoes.
If you accidentally eat a little bit of white mould, it is unlikely to cause any harm. However, if you develop symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, or abdominal pain, it is best to seek medical attention immediately.
Removing White Mould from Potatoes
White mould on potatoes can be a common occurrence, and it can be removed with proper handling. However, it is important to note that not all moulds are safe to eat, and some can produce harmful mycotoxins. Therefore, it is essential to determine the type of mould before attempting to remove it.
Can you cut off mould on a potato?
If the mould on the potato is only on a small area, it is possible to cut it off and still safely consume the rest of the potato. However, if the mould has spread throughout the potato, it is best to discard it.
How do you remove mould from potatoes?
To remove white mould from potatoes, follow these steps:
- Cut off the affected area: Use a knife or potato peeler (I like this one) to cut off the mouldy area, ensuring that you cut at least 1 inch around the visible mould.
- Inspect the rest of the potato: Check the rest of the potato for any signs of mould or soft spots. If there are any, discard the potato.
- Wash the potato: Rinse the potato under running water to remove any remaining mould spores.
- Dry the potato: Pat the potato dry with a clean towel or paper towel before cooking or storing.
Can you cut off mould and eat the rest?
If the mould is only on a small area of the potato, it is possible to cut it off and still safely consume the rest of the potato. However, it is essential to ensure that the mould has not spread throughout the potato.
Can you wash white mould off potatoes?
Washing white mould off potatoes is not recommended, as it can spread the mould spores and increase the risk of contamination. Instead, it is best to cut off the affected area and discard it.
When Should You Not Eat Potatoes?
Potatoes are a staple food in many households, but they can go bad quickly if not stored properly. Eating spoiled potatoes can lead to food poisoning, so it’s important to know when to discard them. Here are some instances when you should not eat potatoes:
1. Mouldy Potatoes
If you see white mould on your potatoes, it’s best to throw them away. The mould can penetrate deep into the potato and produce harmful toxins that can cause illness. Mouldy potatoes can also cause respiratory problems, especially if you have a mould allergy.
2. Green Potatoes
Green potatoes contain solanine, a toxic compound that can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, and even death in extreme cases. Solanine is produced when potatoes are exposed to light, so it’s important to store them in a cool, dark place. If you see green spots on your potatoes, it’s best to cut them out and discard them.
3. Soft or Mushy Potatoes
Potatoes that are soft or mushy are a sign that they have gone bad. They may have started to rot or have been exposed to too much moisture. Soft or mushy potatoes can also be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can cause food poisoning.
4. Smelly Potatoes
If your potatoes have a foul smell, it’s best to throw them away. The smell can be a sign that they have started to rot or have been contaminated with bacteria. Fresh potatoes should have an earthy, nutty smell, while spoiled potatoes can have a musty or mouldy smell.
5. Sprouted Potatoes
Potatoes that have sprouted are not necessarily bad, but they may have a bitter taste and a softer texture. The sprouts can also contain solanine, so it’s best to remove them before cooking. If the potato has sprouted and is also soft or mushy, it’s best to discard it.
Cooking with White Mould on Potatoes
Does Cooking Mould Make it Safe?
Cooking mouldy potatoes can kill the mould, but it does not necessarily make them safe to eat. The toxins produced by the mould can still be present in the potato, even after cooking. Therefore, it is essential to inspect the potatoes carefully before cooking them.
Is Mould Killed by Boiling?
Boiling potatoes can kill the mould, but it does not remove the toxins produced by the mould. Therefore, it is best to discard any potatoes that have mould growing on them.
Cooking with White Mould on Potatoes
If you have potatoes with white mould on them, you can still cook them, but you must remove the mouldy parts before cooking. Here are some steps to follow:
- Inspect the potatoes carefully and remove any mouldy parts.
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces to ensure that they cook thoroughly.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with butter and milk to make mashed potatoes.
- Serve the mashed potatoes immediately.
It is essential to note that if the potatoes have a foul smell or are slimy, they are not safe to eat, even if you remove the mouldy parts. In such cases, it is best to discard them.
Cutting Mould off Other Foods
When it comes to mouldy foods, cutting off the visible mould can be a tempting solution. But is it safe to do so? The answer depends on the type of food and the extent of the mould growth.
Firm fruits and vegetables, such as potatoes, can often be salvaged by cutting off the mouldy parts. However, it’s important to cut at least 1 inch around and below the mouldy area to ensure that all of the mould is removed. Soft fruits, on the other hand, should be discarded if they show any signs of mould.
Bread is another food that people often wonder about. While some types of mould on bread are harmless, others can produce mycotoxins that are harmful to humans. It’s generally recommended to discard any bread that has visible mould, as the mycotoxins can spread throughout the loaf even if the mould is only on one slice.
Other foods, such as hard cheeses and cured meats, can also be salvaged by cutting off the mouldy parts. However, it’s important to note that certain types of mould can produce mycotoxins that are harmful to humans, so it’s important to use caution and common sense when deciding whether to eat mouldy food.
In summary, cutting off mouldy parts of firm fruits and vegetables, hard cheeses, and cured meats can often be a safe solution. However, it’s important to use caution and discard any food that shows signs of extensive mould growth or that has a foul smell. When in doubt, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and discard the food.
My Favourite Potato Based Dish…
Check these UNBELIEVABLE Rosemary & Garlic Roast Potatoes out!