Vegan risotto is a delicious and hearty dish that can be enjoyed by both vegans and non-vegans. Traditionally made with cheese, cream, and butter, vegan risotto has become increasingly popular as more people adopt a plant-based lifestyle. One key ingredient that makes vegan risotto so flavourful is nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that is often used as a vegan substitute for cheese due to its cheesy flavour and nutritional benefits.
Nutritional yeast is rich in protein, fibre, B vitamins, and other essential nutrients, making it a valuable addition to any vegan diet. In this article, we will explore the benefits of nutritional yeast in vegan cooking and share a delicious recipe for vegan risotto with nutritional yeast.
Benefits of Nutritional Yeast for Vegan Cooking
Nutritional yeast is a versatile ingredient that offers many benefits in vegan cooking, particularly in vegan risotto. Here are some of the top benefits of nutritional yeast in vegan risotto:
- High in Protein and Fibre: Nutritional yeast is an excellent source of plant-based protein and fibre, making it a great addition to vegan risotto. Protein and fibre are essential for maintaining healthy digestion, promoting satiety, and supporting muscle growth and repair.
- Contains B Vitamins and Other Essential Nutrients: Nutritional yeast is also rich in B vitamins, including vitamin B12, which is often lacking in vegan diets. B vitamins are essential for maintaining energy levels, supporting brain function, and regulating mood. Additionally, nutritional yeast is a good source of zinc, magnesium, and other important minerals.
- Adds a Cheesy Flavour to Vegan Dishes: Nutritional yeast has a naturally cheesy flavour that makes it a popular ingredient in vegan cooking. It can be used as a cheese substitute in many dishes, including vegan risotto. Nutritional yeast can help to create a rich and savoury flavour profile in vegan dishes, making them more satisfying and flavourful.
Overall, nutritional yeast is a nutritious and flavourful ingredient that can elevate the taste and nutritional value of vegan risotto. By incorporating nutritional yeast into your vegan cooking, you can enjoy all the benefits of this superfood while also satisfying your taste buds.
How To Make a Vegan Risotto
There are lots of different amazing vegan risotto recipes out there, but I’d love it if you tried one of mine (and let me know how it goes!). I’ve got two for you to try today. Firstly, my Pesto & Roasted Tomato Risotto, and secondly my Butternut Squash & Sage Risotto. Both are vegan and gluten free.
Pesto & Roasted Tomato Risotto
Butternut Squash & Sage Risotto
How to Serve & Store Your Vegan Risotto
- Serve the vegan risotto with nutritional yeast hot, garnished with fresh herbs or additional nutritional yeast for extra flavour.
- Pair it with a fresh green salad or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- You can also add some sautéed mushrooms, peas, or asparagus to the risotto for extra texture and nutrition.
- Vegan risotto with nutritional yeast can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat the risotto on the stovetop over low heat, adding a little vegetable broth or water to loosen the consistency.
- Do not freeze the risotto as the texture may change upon thawing and reheating.
- If you want to make the risotto ahead of time, you can cook the rice and keep it aside. Add the broth and nutritional yeast just before serving to maintain the texture and flavour of the dish.
How (and When!) To Add Nutritional Yeast to Your Risotto
When adding nutritional yeast to vegan risotto, it’s important to do so after the rice is cooked. This is because nutritional yeast can burn if added too early, which can result in a bitter taste and unpleasant aroma.
Once the rice is cooked and the vegetable broth has been fully absorbed, the nutritional yeast can be added to the pot. Stir it in gently to avoid breaking up the rice grains, and allow it to cook for a few minutes to fully incorporate the flavour.
Nutritional yeast helps to enhance the overall flavour of the dish, giving it a cheesy, nutty, and savoury taste.
So, by adding nutritional yeast to vegan risotto, you can enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal that’s both dairy-free and full of flavour!