This Butternut Mac & Cheese is the ultimate autumn recipe. This rich and creamy pasta dish is made with wholesome, plant-based ingredients that your body will thank you for!
Cashew cream is my favourite way to make creamy pasta dishes (like my popular Creamy Tomato Pasta). Not only do cashews create the perfect rich and creamy texture, they’re also rich in Vitamin E, Magnesium and Zinc. To make this dish even more seasonal, you can also swap out the butternut squash for pumpkin.
This pasta dish makes for a delicious lunch or dinner to make around Christmas time. It’s seasonal, creamy and so comforting. For more seasonal recipes, try out my Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread or my Pumpkin Freezer Fudge!
If you make this Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese then please make sure to comment below or tag me in your recreations over on Instagram using @ginabnutrition – I love to see them!
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese (Vegan, Gluten & Soy Free)
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash peeled & cubed
- 1/2 Large Brown or White Onion peeled & quartered
- 1/4 Cup Cashews soaked in boiled water for 15 minutes
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Dairy-Free Milk (of choice)
- 200 grams Pasta
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
- Vegan Cheese or Parmesan (optional – for garnish)
- Add the butternut squash and chopped onion to a steamer
- Steam for around 10 minutes until the butternut squash is tender
- Put the pasta onto boil according to packet instructions
- Add the steamed butternut squash, onion, soaked cashews (drain and rinse them first), lemon juice, garlic powder, mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and milk to a blender
- Blend until smooth
- Add the blended sauce to a small saucepan and heat gently over a low heat while stirring
- Drain the pasta and drizzle over a little olive oil
- Stir the pasta into the sauce until it is all coated
- Serve with fresh herbs, vegan cheese and enjoy!