It’s officially pumpkin season, so I hope you’re ready for a whole load of tasty vegan pumpkin recipes coming your way! Starting with this Creamy Pumpkin & Sage Pasta which is so delicious, seasonal and cosy. Not to mention, ridiculously easy to make.
This super creamy vegan pumpkin pasta dish is my current favourite quick and easy dinner. The method is incredibly quick and simple (seriously), yet the result is restaurant-worthy! I’m completely obsessed with the cosy, autumnal flavours.
You’ll be pleasantly surprised when you realise just how easy this creamy pasta sauce is to make. I even surprised myself when developing the recipe!
- Saute your onion and garlic.
2. Add the herbs and seasonings.
3. Stir in the pumpkin, veggie stock and coconut milk and simmer.
4. Stir in cooked pasta, and enjoy!
When it comes to pumpkin puree, I love the ease of using tinned (or canned) pumpkin puree. It can be more difficult to access in the UK (doesn’t seem to be a thing here), but I have been using and loving this one. However, you can also use homemade!
The secret to the creaminess of this pasta dish is coconut milk (no blending cashews to be seen!) I recommend using full-fat coconut milk, and if the coconut milk has separated (the creamy part from the watery part), use the creamy part for this pasta!
One of my favourite parts of this recipe is the seasonal herbs and seasonings. The addition of rosemary and sage compliments the smooth pumpkin beautifully, and the pinch of nutmeg adds a hint of warmth and sweetness to the dish. These flavourings really bring the dish together, so I wouldn’t recommend missing them out!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or oil of choice
- 1/2 a large white or brown onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh sage leaves (or 1-2 tsp dried sage)
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary (or 3/4 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more/less, to taste)
- Generous pinch black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 can (approx 2/3 cup) pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- Pasta of choice, for 2 (I like using tagliatelle)
- Heat the olive oil over a low-medium heat in a large pan, then add the onion and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sage, rosemary, nutmeg, salt + pepper, then cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin purée, coconut milk, nutritional yeast and stock, bring to the boil while stirring, then simmer for 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, serve + enjoy!