I’ve always adored banana bread, and have experimented with many plant based versions in the past. That’s why I was so excited when I perfected this recipe! It uses purely plant based and gluten free ingredients, and the addition of the moist blueberries makes them the perfect healthy treat. Try it warm with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and a drizzle of nut butter.
- 4 small – medium sized ripe bananas (or 3 large bananas)
- 1 chia seed egg (1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water for 10 mins until a gel has formed)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup/sweetener of choice (to taste)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (left to cool slightly)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Splash plant mylk
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Optional: chopped/crushed pecans (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 190C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until a mostly smooth consistency forms with minimal lumps.
- Add in all of the other wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- In another large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (apart from the blueberries) and stir well. Pour in the banana mixture and mix very well until a batter forms. If the batter is too thick, add a splash more of plant mylk.
- Add in the blueberries and fold in carefully until they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes, then take out the banana bread and cover with tin foil, then place back in the oven for 30 more minutes. You will know it has cooked through if a skewer comes out clean (if not, let it bake for longer).
- I recommend eating it warm; either on it’s own or with a generous spread of nut butter! UNREAL. Perfect as a mid morning snack or as part of your breakfast! Or even as dessert 😉 Enjoy! It will keep for around 3-4 days in an airtight container.
TIP – If you don’t think you can get through the whole loaf, a good idea is to slice it up and store in the freezer, then take out and defrost when you fancy a piece!
TIP – You can also bake these as muffins! Just adjust the baking time to around 25 minutes.