There’s nothing quite like the taste of homemade creamy roasted almond butter.. and at a fraction of the cost of store bought jars – this is an absolute must. I love having a delicious alternative to peanut butter, along with the incredible health benefits: healthy fats, protein, antioxidants, vitamin E, magnesium.. they’re also the perfect skin food! I recommend smothering on toast and topping with chewy medjool dates (pictured further down). yum.
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Generous pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Few sprinkles of cinnamon
1. Spread the 2 cups of raw almonds on a baking tray and roast on 180C for 10/15 mins until toasted and golden – keep checking and don’t let them burn!
2. Pour the almonds into a food processor and process on a high speed along with the coconut oil, cinnamon, salt + vanilla for a couple of minutes and then switch it off and scrape down the sides ~ keep doing this for about 5 mins.
3. Next, leave the processor going on high for about 10/15 minutes until a smooth almond butter has formed (be patient.. maybe go and do something else..). The longer you leave it to process, the runnier the nut butter will be. I personally prefer a runnier nut butter than a thicker one!
4. Taste test ~ add more salt/vanilla/cinnamon/sweetener to taste and process again.
5. All done! Pour into a jar and keep in a cool dry place.. and try not to eat it all at once!