I absolutely love having buckwheat as a change from oats for breakfast. Completely gluten free and high in protein, fibre, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus; buckwheat really is the perfect way to start your day! And easier than you thought to prepare. The soaking overnight is important not only to aid digestion, but it also drastically cuts down on the amount of cooking time in the morning as it softens the buckwheat groats!
- 1/3 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup nut milk (try my homemade almond and cashew nut milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Soak the buckwheat groats in cold, filtered water overnight.
- The next morning, drain the groats (they will have gone slightly gloopy – just rinse with water).
- Place them in a blender along with half of the banana and nut milk; then pulse for a couple of seconds – so that a nutty, creamy, porridgey consistency forms.
- Pour this into a saucepan along with the vanilla and salt, and heat to a gentle simmer (as you would porridge), stirring often.
- After about 2-3 mins, take off the heat and pour into your bowl. Top with your favourite toppings! (I like raspberries, peanut butter and the other half of the banana – yum.) Enjoy!